This page documents Ultimaker #1 (Guy). The printer lives on the bottom shelf of the 3D printer tower.
- WHITE: 2.85mm PLA (use 210°-220°)
- BLACK: 2.85mm PLA/PHA Filament (use 220°-230°) -- this is a bit more flexible than plain PLA
- Works well using Blue painter’s tape without using the heated bed. (Same setup as Ultimaker 2)
- Heated bed currently not working (mid-way through fixing that).
- Cura 15 Settings here
Known Issues and Fixes
- IMPORTANT: OctoPrint will disconnect from Ultimaker 2 if Ultimaker 1 is powered on. If you want to print on both (or will want to eventually), power both on before starting your print on Ultimaker 2
- For better results, wipe the Blue Tape Sheet with Isopropyl Alcohol a few minutes before starting to print.
- If a large solid area is under-extruding then try printing at 220° and 110% Flow.
- To easily change the filament, rotate this printer 90° -- so that the filament spool points towards the shop door end of the shelving.
- Ultimaker Original with extruder drive upgrade
- 210 x 210 x 205 mm print volume
- 2.85mm filament
- Absolute max temperature: 250 C
- Heated bed for ABS (on second power supply)
- It is managed and accessible from the web GUI: http://octopi.hacklab.to/
|Apr 20, 2017||
|Mid-2016||Nozzle cleaned, Bowden coupler springs replaced. Prints well. Use "ABS juice" to stick ABS prints to bare bed. Prints PLA onto blue tape perfectly as well.||Igor|
|Jan 28, 2016||THE QUARTERBACK IS TOAST. This printer isn't working. The extruder is spinning but not pushing ABS through. I've done as much troubleshooting as I can without risking screwing stuff up. I've sent a query to the mailing list.||alaina|
|June 8, 2013||Added tool holder onto side of Ultimaker||Norm|
|May 14, 2013||Tensioned X/Y belts, switched to white PLA and tested new experimental settings. Readjusted Z bed height, printed stuff.||Norm|
|May 11, 2013||Rod endcaps removed, threadlock (blue) applied to the M3 screws and setscrews locked into place to prevent loosening.
Lubricated Z axis and gantry system.
|May 1, 2013||Printed and mounted new Z home switch retaining mechanism and calibrated. Z homing much more accurate.
Observed further inconsistent extrusion, further investigation found online that the knurled bolt is only useful for the last 3 mm nearest the groove for the delrin clip. Adjusted bolt positioning to move good knurling into position, no further grinding or slipping observed, consistent solid extrusion demonstrated.
|April 30, 2013||Installed new e-panel composite based build platform.||Geordie|
|April 29, 2013||Printed and installed new extruder feed gear to reduce backlash during retraction.
Observed inconsistent extrusion. Small gaps appearing in extrusion, yet full infill occurring on layers otherwise (ie: not clogged).
|April 27, 2013||Print quality degraded significantly mid-print. Hot end disassembled, burnt PLA removed from brass tube, and dust/dirt removed from teflon-PEEK interface. Print quality returned to normal. Clogged again, cleaned more thoroughly this time. (Used 1/8" drill bit to handheld scrape out burnt PLA very carefully.
PLA diameter changed.
|April 24, 2013||Squeaking noise observed from Y axis axle.
Endcap inset screw noticed to be loose, requires new endcap to be printed, and screw not to be overtightened.
|April 12, 2013||Bed leveling assist tool printed and built.||Norm|
|April 8, 2013||Belts retensioned, new bearing endcaps installed to reduce backlash further.||Norm|
|April 6, 2013||Z axis calibration fixed, Z steps/mm in new profile on Git.
X/Y axis backlash observed, infill not meeting walls, delamination observed.
|March 31, 2013||Z axis calibration issues observed.
25mm Test cube showed ~6.8% Z axis error.