/* Dinner History */
= Favorites =
These are some of our favorites from the last
two+ years of cooking, if you're looking for an incredible vegan dinner, try these first!
* [http://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/ spiced lentil soup]
= Dinner History =
* 2019-01-01 [https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2015/04/09/rastafarian-restaurant-in-scarborough-offers-vegan-meals-from-scratch.html carrot and ginger rice] a repeat 3x and [http://www.wifemamafoodie.com/simple-vegetable-dumplings/ simple vegetable dumplings] 2x and more dough from [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/bbq-lentil-baozi/ baozi] recipe from last time. The mushroom dumpling filling was actually great, way better than the lentil thing from last time. The rice, good, but wasn't a great combo with the dumplings, I think some kind of green veggies would have been better. Dumplings are fun, but also so much work, it was good it was a quiet week (new years day!).
* 2018-12-18 two old standby's this week: [https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parkers-split-pea-soup-recipe-1916855 parkers split pea soup] 3x and [https://holycowvegan.net/golden-roasted-curry-mustard-potatoes/ golden roasted curry mustard potatoes] 2x. Both were great again; the soup, we left it chunky this time instead of immersion blending it. The potatoes, larger chunks than usual, which was interesting - as always, potatoes totally went quickly, I wish we could do more, but this really does fill the oven...
* 2018-05-08 [https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/165190/spicy-vegan-potato-curry/ spicy vegan potato curry] 2x (with extra veggies) and [https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lemon-brown-rice-garlic-and-thyme lemon brown rice] 3x plus [https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2016/11/29/chocolate-chip-marshmallow-cookies/ chocolate chip marshmallow cookies] and bread from the bread maker. The curry was spicy for sure, but a bit bland until we added extra cumin, some garam masala and some lemon juice to brighten it up. The cookies, somehow failed to set timer, when we got them out, the marshmallows had actually melted into the dough, I think saving the cookies from burning, but also disappointing us! Delicious anyway. The rice, subtle but excellent, comboed well.
* 2018-04-10 [https://www.hummusapien.com/vegetarian-chili/ vegetarian chili] 4x but only 3x on the tomatoes and beans plus [http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/vegan-cornbread-115929?ftab=reviews#activity-feed vegan corn bread], which we made twice. The chili, added mushrooms, and had to sub swiss chard instead of celery, plus we added some apple cider vinegar to brighten it up. After all that, it was actually great - for a chili. Too spicy by half though, 4 jalapeño's was too many, I think 2 would have been sufficient. The corn bread, amazing, incredible, would make again for sure! We also had bread in the bread maker again, great as always.
* 2018-04-03 [
https://knowledge.hacklab.to/wiki/EwansSoups Ewans Carrot Soup] 1x a repeat and [https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parkers-split-pea-soup-recipe-1916855 Parker's Split Pea Soup] 3x a repeat and [https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6773/simple-whole-wheat-bread/ simple whole wheat bread] except with sugar water instead of honey. The pea soup was great, would make again. The carrot soup was a bit watery (probably my mistake), but tasty enough once we got the sugar in and added some lemon juice. The bread, we couldn't find the loaf tins, so we made it in pots and in cupcake tins, and it was AMAZING, I'd make the "cup breads" or "breadlets" again any time, handy and delicious, plus it reduced the baking time! Also made a loaf of white bread in the bread machine and turned that info garlic rosemark bread, which was delicious as always. Finally, Joseph brought ingredients for [https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58684/smores-egg-rolls-recipe/ smores egg rolls], delicious but oh-so-unhealthy!
* 2018-03-27 [https://jessicainthekitchen.com/thai-green-curry-vegan-gluten-free/ thai green curry] 6x a repeat and [https://damndelicious.net/2014/06/25/pineapple-fried-rice/ pineapple fried rice] 1.33x. The curry, spicy and great as usual. 6x was totally the right call - just fits, after things boil down, though with that much veggie there sure is a LOT of chopping! The rice also delicious, but we think the extra freezer frost on the frozen peas/etc added moisture, which resulted in it being a bit mushier. I liked it, but other people apparently think it should have been crisper / more "fried".
* 2018-03-06 [http://www.ilovevegan.com/cheesy-vegan-potato-broccoli-casserole/ cheesy vegan potato broccoli casserole] 4x and [https://lucysfriendlyfoods.com/2013/06/27/doughnuts/ vegan donuts] 2x. Both excellent, would totally make the casserole again, a bit of work but not as bad as you'd think with the food processor to do all the slicing. The donuts were actually easy to make - just get the oil to the right temp. Rolling in the sugar was a bit tricky, injecting the jam surprisingly easy. [https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-make-castor-sugar-substitute-4137095 Caster sugar] was just a few dozen seconds in the blender.
* 2017-03-14 [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/sweet-potato-carrot-and-ginger-soup/ sweet potato ginger and carrot soup] 3x with garlic bread. Plus [http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/ apple pie] and [http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12468/old-fashioned-strawberry-pie/ strawberry pie] for Pi Day! The soup was good, even great actually, but we think it could have been made better with some lemon juice to brighten it up. The apple pie we've made before and is good. The strawberry pie was out of this world, incredible, would totally make again. We added 4 cloves (ground) and 1/4 tsp. nutmug to the recipe, and made two open-top pies rather than one closed pie, but otherwise, as written.
* 2017-03-07 [http://www.crazyvegankitchen.com/vegan-roasted-red-pepper-pasta/ roasted red pepper pasta] 8x with garlic bread, and [http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies chewy oatmeal raisin cookies]. The pasta was good - spicy! We added extra nutritional yeast, since it needed something. Not as good as the previous red pepper pasta, I think. The cookies are excellent, nice and chewy!
* 2017-02-28 [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/roasted-red-pepper-chickpea-and-spinach-curry/ roasted red pepper chickpea and spinach curry] 4x and [http://www.cearaskitchen.com/indian-saffron-yellow-rice-pilaf-vegan-glutenfree/ indian yellow rice pilaf] 4x (without the saffron). Both repeats, both awesome, very tasty. And panters [
https://knowledge.hacklab.to/wiki/Date_squares date squares] for dessert - totally amazing, we should make these again, best dessert in a long time! We slightly burned the rice. We also tried for aquafaba-based (chickpea water) meringues again, but they didn't turn out so well - edible but not incredible. Apparently recipes vary a LOT for that stuff, and it really matter!
* 2017-02-21 [http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/baked-leek-and-sweet-potato-gratin baked leek and sweet potato gratin] doubled and [http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-rutabaga-chipotle-soup-100959 rutabaga chipotle soup] doubled and [http://www.saucygirlskitchen.com/2011/04/03/chocolate-meringue-cookies-with-peanut-butter-cream-centers/ Chocolate Meringue Cookies with Peanut Butter Cream Centers]. The gratin was great - a little light on the leek (would make twice as many leeks for same scale next time), but super tasty - also, we used about 4x the breadcrumbs it calls for as well, anyway, would make again, not as much work as you'd think, and turned out well. The soup: worst thing I have ever made at hacklab. Had a very nasty bitter taste, which we attempted to fix using olive oil, sugar and salt (all three of which helped), but it wasn't sufficient to get it to even "OK", it was still basically inedible IMO - we ended up tossing 2/3 of it, though a few people did say they liked it. Not sure what the problem was, really, but perhaps subbing tofu for cream isn't a great idea? Or maybe we just got unlucky with the celery, which can sometimes be pretty bitter? The cookies, excellent, but crazy fattening. Gone in 60 seconds :-). But, lots of left over peanut butter cream, about 2x as much as a recipe actually needs - and I'm pretty sure that Panter actually doubled the cookie recipe itself, so that means the peanut butter is actually 4x what you need, which is crazy... 2 cups DID seem like a lot, and it was...
* two missed weeks, Eric was sick. Panter and Roberta did made something in the second week, I think it was a curry? I don't think anything was made in the first week.
* 2016-10-18 [http://www.theinventivevegetarian.com/pumpkin-mac-and-cheese/ pumpkin mac and cheese] 3x and [http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/spicy-coconut-noodles spicy coconut noodles] 4x and [http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-pumpkin-bread/ vegan pumpkin bread] 2x. The mac and cheese was hearty and good, also HUGE, 3x made the 2 13x9 dishes and 2 of the 9x9, all quite deep. The coconut noodles were excellent, would make again. The bread, I made 3 subs, the most important was oats instead of the whole-wheat flour, then also sunflower seeds and cashews instead of walnuts. Given that, it was delicious and perfect texture, best bread I've ever made here actually, obviously would make again, though it seems like it might be partially miraculous that it turned out so good.
* 2016-10-11 For Thanksgiving: [http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/butternut-squash-with-whole-wheat-wild-rice-onion-stuffing/ Butternut Squash With Whole Wheat, Wild Rice, & Onion Stuffing] 2x and [http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/glorious-grains/quinoa/red-quinoa-pilaf-with-kale-and-corn/ Red Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn] 2x and [http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/vegan-roasted-garlic-mashed-potatoes.html Vegan Roasted-Garlic Mashed Potatoes] 3x with [http://minimalistbaker.com/deep-dish-apple-crumble-pie/ deep dish apple crumble pie] and [http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/ apple pie by grandma ople] (a repeat) for dessert. The squash was good, not great, but very hard to make (scooping half cooked squash while it's hot? Are they insane?), and took forever, I would not make it again. Also, we couldn't even FIND wild rice, so we subbed some awesome black rice that we found. The pilaf was excellent and much easier to make; 2x made less than half a pot so if I do make it again I'd scale it up more than that - 5x would probably fill the pot. Both pies were good and lasted about 3 minutes :-). The mashed potatoes we served because you can't have thanksgiving without mashed potatoes, but actually we didn't roast the garlic, just put it in with the potatoes while boiling, which was not as good for sure. Next time I'd do it proper...
* 2016-10-04 [
https://knowledge.hacklab.to/wiki/EwansSoups Ewans Carrot Soup] (a repeat) 2x and [http://www.veggieinspiredjourney.com/butternut-mac/ Butternut Mac] 2x and garlic bread. Both good, though we had to adulterate the carrot soup quite a bit - not sure why it wasn't as good straight up as last time. 10 lbs bag of carrots was $2, so this was a super cheap recipe! The Butternut Mac was easy and flavorful, but missing something, I just have no idea what - not quite as creamy as real cheese, but that wasn't the problem.
* 2016-09-27 [http://www.food.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-roasted-red-pepper-soup-131936 Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup] 3x and [http://holycowvegan.net/2015/06/golden-roasted-curry-mustard-potatoes.html Golden Roasted Curry Mustard Potatoes] 2x, with garlic bread for the soup. Both dishes were *excellent*, would make again. The soup, should have made 4x, it would have fit, and we needed the extra - all the food gone today at 8:15! The potatoes, 2x already filled all four trays in the oven, so not really possible to make more easily. The potatoes, we used way more mustard than they called for - perhaps double, otherwise as in recipe. The soup, we fried the onions and added garlic too, I can't imagine why the recipe doesn't fry the onions!
* 2016-09-20 [http://minimalistbaker.com/mediterranean-baked-sweet-potatoes/ mediterranean baked sweet potatoes] doubled, a repeat and [http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/kale-and-apple-salad-recipe.html kale and apple salad] also doubled. The potatoes awesome as always (and as always, we used at least 3x the sauce, just double the potatoes). The salad was good, but not as good as the previous kale salad (IMO, other people loved the apple in it).
* 2014-12-09 [http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Aloo-Matar/Detail.aspx?evt19=1 Aloo Matar] Quadrupled. Pretty good, would make again. Tried to use the new wok with wok ring, but not enough heat - ultimately had to do the onions in the frying pan and the mix in a large pot, as usual. The potatoes, even though we pre-cooked them in the microwave, ended up undercooked - a little firm, but still good. Would pre-cook them a little more next time (7 min x 2 instead of 5 min x2?, maybe with stirring half-way through). Halved the paprika, as recommended in a comment - great idea, still fairly spicy!
* 2014-12-02 [http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=2b9bdc6a1a3b8cc791be76fb3&id=c16006e911&e= Vegan Japanese Curry] Tripled. Good. A lot of extra fluid (6 cups!!), which we just bailed out before serving.
* 2014-11-25 [
https://knowledge.hacklab.to/wiki/EwansSoups Pea Soup and Carrot Soup] by Ewan and Eric. Huge quantities of soup, but almost all of it was eaten anyway. Carrot was awesome, pea was merely great. With bread from [http://www.mabelsbakery.ca/ Mabel's].
* 2014-11-18 [http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/panang-cucumber-curry/ Panang Cucumber Curry] [http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-cucumber-soup/ Spicy Cucumber Soup] - curry is great, the soup is *super spicy*. Tripled both. Used 7 large english cucumbers total :-)
* 2014-11-04 Korma, hot and sour soup, naan bread, [http://sachachua.com/blog/2014/11/cooking-hacklab-coconut-barfi/ coconut barfi], homemade peasant bread, store-bought cupcakes - Chris, Alaina, Eric, Sacha, Max, Gabriel, Will
= Wishlist (future potential dinners / desserts / etc!) =
* [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/easy-cajun-jambalaya/ easy cajun jambalaya] with vegan sausages
* [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/creamy-pumpkin-risotto-with-sweet-and-spicy-roasted-pepitas/ creamy pumpkin risotto with sweet and spicy pepitas] they say to make it for thanksgiving, it certainly looks rich!
* [http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/outback-steakhouse-honey-wheat-bushman-bread-272815 honey wheat bread]
* [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/zucchini-pepperoni-pizza/ vegan zucchini pizza] from scratch (cheese and bread)
* [https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/moroccan-cauliflower-soup-with-carrots-apples-and-pistachio-cream-vegan-paleo/ cauliflower soup with carrots, apples and pistachio cream]
* [http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/vegan-and-gluten-free-tempeh-meatballs/ tempeh meatballs and spagetti]
* [http://ohsheglows.com/2014/03/12/6-tips-for-flawless-kale-chips-all-dressed-kale-chips-recipe/ all-dressed kale chips]
* [http://acozykitchen.com/baked-beet-chips/ baked beet chips]
* [http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/baked-leek-and-sweet-potato-gratin baked leek and sweet potato gratin]
* [http://minimalistbaker.com/roasted-beet-hummus/ roasted beet hummus]
* [http://cookieandkate.com/2013/west-african-peanut-soup/ west african peanut soup]
* [http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/carrot-and-beet-slaw-with-pistachios-and-raisins Carrot and Beet Slaw with Pistachios and Raisins] - once we have a machine to julienne veggies!
* [http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/16/falafel-with-a-twist/ falafel with a twist]
* [http://pinchofyum.com/quick-homemade-ramen homemade ramen]
= Kitchen Robots=
* scale & thermometer (both liquid and oven). We borrow them from DIYbio right now, so not urgent.
* spiralizer, like [http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-sprializer/ this one]