Cupcake Refurb Project 2013
From June to August 2013, a number of major upgrades have been performed to make the cupcake more useful and relevent.
Done. The cupcake is now as usable as the ultimakers. (Same software workflow.) - Print quality is not as high, but sufficient for mechanical parts.
- X,Y mendel style with 10 bearings/axis [ http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3697] - PLA printed Y part cracked, only 9 bearings installed. Still runs well.
- Wade's extruder for cupcake 
- Hobbed bolt + gear from ultimaker spares
- Stepper based extruder - stepper borrowed from ultimaker.
- Old Ultimaker (ramps-like) board with arduino Mega that has to be returned to Fumon - Sen to provide alternative?
- X,Y endstops implemented with random mechanical switches found around the lab.
- Tuning: X,Y,Z Steps_per_unit
- Raspi configured with arch and printrun.
- Extruder tuned, replaced gear with 3d printed one (was using old wood ultimaker gear, now using same type of gear as the ultimaker.)
- took apart, cleaned out the makergear extruder.
- Toolchain integration (Cura profile/prontserv) - Note: Cura preferences must be altered to match machine dimentions.
- Z endstops
- Wiring and connecting ABP.
- Cura plugin for ABP at end of print
- Power status LED (Thanks Sen!)
- LED Strip - Regulator runs hot though, usually unpluged.
- Z Axis replacement - 
- Crappy Bed leveler
Todo / WIP
- Need a bed leveler design which doesn't add wobble to prints
- ABP tends to be a bit wavvy. Investigate paper/kapton option or metal foil for replacement belt.
Parameters and notes
- Using Marlin firmware. Full configuration to be posted on github once it's more stable.
- Motor model: KYSAN SKU: 1123029. Using 12V, 0.4A. (xyz only, extruder = better motor.) - Set pololu ref voltage to a bit under 0.16v.) 
- PID values + thermo values being played with. Default values overshoot hotend significantly.
- See reference values here: 
The Hacklab has made a number of customization to our Makerbot:
- Thermocouple in the Plastruder heater instead of the default thermocouple (including adding converter board for signal)
- Heated build platform